Wednesday, June 15, 2011

So Far So Good...

Summer update...

Where to begin; even only sitting in early June it seams that so much has gone on this summer that I'm way behind on blogging. I just got back to Colorado from North Platte, Nebraska. I was doing the music for the week for a early middle school camp. And I just have to say... those kids are CrAzY!*%!! The first set, the first night and they were far from the deer in the headlights look I'm used to getting as the music guy. they were interactive, LOUD, and bouncing all over the place. I love Middle Schoolers, they will tell you when their wanting to be there or wanting to be somewhere else. There is no guessing with them and thats why I like them so much more than adults. All in all the week went well. Most camp weeks you see the end of chapel recommittals; and such. And I have no real authority to decipher what is genuine and what is hype. But especially as the music guy, I commonly get used as the emotional driver to fake or flimsy committals to God. And this week didn't really do that. Although there was opportunity for kids to do that, they seamed to be driven more to interaction. The stage time instead was joyous and fun, and I like that.


Moving on, I leave for Mexico City this saturday. I'm an odd form of excited, considering what the trip is. For those of you that don't know I'm with a group called IEmpathize going to advocate against sex and human trafficking in Mexico City. I'll be meeting with members of the Mexican Congress and touring different brothels that the Mexican Police have busted recently. CNN published a report this week about sex trafficking in Mexico City; with an estimated 10,000 sex slaves in the city alone, there were only 12 arrests last year. Anyone with a sense of justice should be shattered by these figures. and this is only one issue in one city on the Globe. The problem presents society with a mountainous traverse that no individual has the ability to climb solo. thats why the awareness of the issue is so important. But like always "its not the education we get but the empowerment we give that makes a difference to others." (-John C Maxwell) I think that best surmises the journey I get to take next week. Personally its more out of my comfort zone that I had to raise the money to go than the nature of the trip itself. The Business side of ministry is still something of work in process to me. Below I've put the shortened video from Iempathize about the work in Mexico City, I'm trying to keep this post more of a cleft note's type of update, so I'm gonna just leave you with the video and keep coming back to this site next week as I'm in Mexico City, I'll be updating here about the trip as I get opportunity too each day.


iEmpathize Mexico City Short: The Way Home (English Version) from Simon Scionka on Vimeo.

If you would still like to support the trip, were still short on funding, and you can do so on the link below. Then Click the "support me" link on the right.

Support Mexico City Expedition

Other than all of these happenings, I'm getting behind on school already, I don't know how a thing like that could happen taking 15 credits over a summer with all of this also happening. It just blows my mind.

And I've been presented with a familiar crossroads, to operate in my nature. turning down the opportunity to put down roots and do what society sees as the normal or wiser plan for the next few years. OR... in line with all my life decisions and flighty nature. To choose instead to operate even more as a drifter than I am now? Hmm perplexing choices. Roots creep me out honestly. So I'm at an impasse with wanting to be responsible but also being who I've always been and wanted to be; Active, extreme, and living a life like few have tasted seeing both the world being involved with people all over instead of an isolated few...we shall see ;)
The prospect went with an interesting conversation, one that I have with myself often, but none the less was a feature our dialogue. It was about the nature of this itinerant life style. This conversation was with a man that knows me well, and he observed how uncomfortable I am with settling in. weather that be with a normal job, a house, a girl... "its like your so used to change that your afraid to commit to anything that will keep you from the ability to be where you feel you need to be from moment to moment." I couldn't agree with him more... that is me (hence the tittle of the blog in case you were wondering)! And I mean that as a very good thing. I like writing my address in pencil (I've lived in the same place for a year and a month now... that's a record in a nine year time frame) I enjoy that I get to live a life outside of a 9-5 prison cell, looking back 10 years later and realizing you've only existed well and not actually lived. I get to experience life that few do... and what affords me this right. I pathetic gross income every year and zero stability. I can deal with that. So I guess the only thing on that list to figure out is the Girl part.... yeah... I haven't figured that one out yet obviously. (How emphatic can you make one "!" ?) Perhaps i'll post a blog when I get back from mexico with a girlfriend application section. Except I think the "need not apply" section would be depressingly limiting :/    ... Well 2/3 figured out is nice I suppose, story of my life!  (lol)

No comments:

Post a Comment