Wednesday, May 11, 2011

If it bores you... it must be godly!

I watched this video almost two years ago, and haven’t been able to find it since despite a few wasted hours. Grrr… Recently it was found and posted on Christiannightmares, which is great for you… because now you can enjoy it with me (insert overt sarcasm here)!



I’ll give him this much, at least he’s not totally ignorant, he knows basic music theory. However I fail to see where in the bible God revealed this “Body wants to dance” doctrine. I’ve looked for it, yes, even in the ever touted King James Version (you’re supposed to lift your chin a bit when you say that by the way, who knew?) The only original source I’ve found this is in Fundamentalist Christian dogma.

As in all things (yes I do believe this) the bible does have something to say about this.  In 2nd Samuel chapter 6 David is bringing the Ark back to Jerusalem. Which was far deeper than simply the return of a national Icon. The Hebrew people are heavily about poetry, and so they would not have overlooked the deep symbolism here. The Ark was the Icon of the presence of the one true God. And bringing it back to the Nation of Israel was also symbolic of the Nations reconnecting to God. And as the Ark was carried into the city after a long journey; King David, warring what was called an “Ephod” (A rob that was worn by priests, which was disgraceful for a king to wear because it showed his knees (*Gasp! I know)) danced through the city streets with the people in celebration of his people being Rejoined with the presence of God again.

You see there are things that are worth throwing a party for! There are things that are worth dancing through the streets! I’ve even heard it said (by a pastor) “It’s honestly a sin to not have fun.”In the psalms it tells us to “praise him with a clashing cymbal and a Gong.” To Praise with both a harp and Lyre (a first century guitar) And I’m sorry if being biblical doesn’t sit as pretty in your church. But I’m going to dance, shout, raise my hands, and dance with my friends when I praise a God who’s presence has been brought back to me by Himself!

No comments:

Post a Comment