Tuesday, September 15, 2009

A God over impossibilities

Often a reference to someone having a broken heart, means that that person has gone through something traumatically heart wrenching. It’s a reference to hurt and emotion associated with a loss or a hurtful instance. I’ve been pondering “broken heartedness” lately but not in this context. Yeah…been there too, but that’s not the way I’ve been churning it over in my head this week. I’ve been looking at “broken hearted” to be deeper than that surface abrasion.  The heart is defective. It’s broken because it’s incapable to doing what it does. It has the ability to try, but because it’s defective it can’t be affective in its role. This can’t be a reflection of its maker, because he can’t make mistakes, but is a sign of the condition of the people it’s that the creators’ perfect heart was entrusted to.  I find myself again standing knee deep in the imposable. When I take a look at all the directions I could walk or the things that this situation could become, I don’t like ANY what it becomes. It is literally an imposable thing. I don’t like moving forward, I don’t like walking away, and I don’t like sitting where I am. None of the angles work, no decision will fix anything of what this is. And so it’s impossible. Now there is hope, at least not in the way you or I think of hope. It’s not the way I ever think of hope being. The hope that is there is in the character of the one who created of the broken and defective: The intentional creative God of the universe. I always lean on him wanting him to snap his fingers and making everything ok. With the whoosh of his magic-lil-wand life becomes a fairytale to the ones that he loves. And he does love um!...but that’s not what I’ve learned he’s like. He’s better than that; He’s more powerful than that. He is a God who specializes in the imposable. To just snap his fingers would actually be limiting himself. You see the situation itself IS imposable, believe me, I’ve spent the time looking at every angle; and the lines don’t move.  The thing remains as it is, and I’m never satisfied with whatever end I see…where God is in the impossible, is not the seat of the genie-of-the-lamp, nope!...he’s far above that. The imposable situation shows his glory because he transcends impossibility…so in whatever direction I beat my face on the impossibility wall…he is the one who cries with me, and comforts me. He doesn’t make the impossible go away; he enables us to live IN impossibilities…that is a God! One who makes us able to do more than exist under the weight of an imposable life…but helps us to live impossibly. 

2 comments:

  1. I literally was just praying last night and my exact words were thanking him that he is NOT "a genie in a lamp"

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA?!...cool, i wrote this early sunday morning. and its still where I'm sittin

    ReplyDelete