Friday, January 1, 2010

Drive verses dead weights!

I'm almost at the point that I'm tired of advice. there is some advice that I appreciate more than I can express. But most of the advice that I hear is the kind that comes from well meaning people, with no imagination or perspective of your life and your ideals. If your like me you get more of the second than the first. Its usually the advice that you DIDN'T ask for. It doesn't always come directly, its usually in the form of little comments dropped here and there. I see it as a subtle manipulation really. They may not mean it as that but thats honestly what it is. Its a bit of sarcasm that lets you know they don't approve, or its a nudge in a particular direction by asking only questions that are always about the same things. You can tell because the conversation will always end up back there no matter how you answer the question; be polite or be direct it matters little, until your where they want you to be the conversations will never change. At least they never seam to.
Yesterday I was hit with the comment "oh right, you don't really know what your doing in life, I forgot" while the person standing next to me was then told, "I'm proud of you." Lucky for me the comment was far from true. I know exactly what I want, I could draw you the most vivid picture. Because I see it in detail every moment, awake or asleep. This person knows that about me, and they want the best for me. It just so happens that they aren't the deciders of what that looks like. I have a God who tells me that He knows the hairs on my head. Having plans for me, plans that are good. I've never had a point in my life where I didn't know what I wanted to do. I do have times when I'm unsure if I'll succeed. and times for sure when I look at scraping a dream, doing instead something that I think will succeed. Its my attempt to avoid the prospect of failure. But the thing about faith is that it refuses to let you off easy when you feel a little skittish or insecure. Here's some advice that I do like! Eric Hoff said:


"In times of change, it is the learners who will inherit the earth, while the learned will be beautifully equipped for a world that no longer exists"


Yesterday is not today and it will certainly not be tomorrow. The advice that I make a habit of ignoring is the kind that forgets this. Generations before have followed modals that served them well. However, Starting on the ground floor and working your way up the ladder isn't what this country is any more. You don't go to collage and get a degree just to have a degree. You've probably heard the same thing that I have, "it doesn't matter what its in, you just need one." This may have been great advice fifty years ago. But modals from the past should be just that. What I do follow is character. I can look at men who had the Character to not give up or give in. to keep going when they were called foolish. Thomas Addison failed over a thousand times before making a stable light bulb, Ab lincoln went to war a Captan and returned a private. I look at great people from history, and great examples living today. And all of this after knowing that God is a personal God. Who's character is seen more than any others! So in short, I will be resolute, i will be firm...immoveable. On the track that HE has me on, regardless of approval or opinion. And I will be guided by some great people along the way.  


Jeremiah 29:11 "for I know the plans that I have for you says the Lord, plans to prosper and not to harm. plans to give you a hope and a future." 
I follow principles not modals, and God rather than opinion. I have a drive to do what HE has saved me to do, it may not happen as fast as I want it to, and it may change hats along the way...but thats how it is.

1 comment: